Koret Food Program
One of Koret’s longest-standing initiatives, the Koret Food Program annually provides support to organizations that help make food available, affordable, and accessible to the Bay Area’s most vulnerable populations. As a legacy to founder Joseph Koret — a self-made man who never forgot the feeling of going to bed hungry as a child — our Foundation continues his tradition of giving to food banks at the holidays. Since its inception in 1981, the Koret Food Program has provided nearly $5.5 million in grants to organizations fighting hunger and food insecurity. Grant proposals for this signature program are by invitation only.
While many look to government to provide a safety net for the disadvantaged, Koret affirms the strength of nonprofits in addressing hunger and food insecurity in our communities with grants to the following organizations, selected for their efficiency and effectiveness:
- Glide Foundation (San Francisco)
- Meals on Wheels of San Francisco
- St. Anthony Foundation (San Francisco)
- San Francisco Food Bank
- Second Harvest Food Bank (San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties)
- Jewish Family and Children's Services of San Francisco, the Peninsula, Marin and Sonoma Counties with support for the following:
- Jewish Family and Children's Services of the East Bay
- Jewish Family Services of Silicon Valley
As a legacy to founder Joseph Koret — a self-made man who never forgot the feeling of going to bed hungry as a child — our Foundation continues his tradition of giving to food banks and multi-service agencies at holidays and throughout the year.